The mission of the Association as a not-for-profit provincial organization is to be a single voice to promote and develop the awareness of the Mi’Kmaq of Newfoundland.
- The Association will lobby all elected officials and other interested parties to ensure that the Government of Canada, with the participation of the Federation of Newfoundland Indians and the Qalipu First Nation Band, extends the enrollment application review process to all applicants of the Qalipu Mi’kmaq First Nation Band on a timely basis and in a manner fully consistent with the precedents, considerations and methods used by the Enrollment Committee and the Appeal Master in the first stage of the enrollment process.
- The Association will support the rights and concerns of current members of the Qalipu Band. Our organization recognizes and appreciates the concerns of Band members, understanding that should application criteria be altered or different standards of proof be applied, their status could be re-examined.
- In the event that this organization concludes that its membership has discriminated against and unjustly barred from membership in the Qalipu Mi’kmaq First Nations Band, the organization will continue representing, promoting and lobbying for the rights of this Mi’kmaq group of First Nation’s people.
The mandate of the Association is:
- to support and conduct non-partisan research, education, genealogy and informational activities to increase public awareness of the Mi’kmaq Indians of Newfoundland.
- to prevent community deterioration of the Mi’kmaq Family Community.